Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:41:30 +1100 (EST)
From:      Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   #include file xref philosophy

What is the -current philosophy on intra #include file dependencies?

Is there any reason for not following the posix line and having
include files resolve all their own dependencies? I'm talking about
things like <dirent.h> needing the code that includes it, include
<sys/types.h> before hand.

Appart from portability issues, which I am increasingly encountering,
I find the idea that user developed .c code must magically "know"
what each /usr/include/* file needs and in what order very ugly
and ecapsulation breaking.

Moving towards self-resolving is of course backwards compatible.
Can we agree to do this for /usr/include/*?

Cheers,
Julian.