Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 23:48:16 -0000
From:      "Jason Halbert" <res02jw5@gte.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mail Servers

The evidence suggests that "Jason Halbert" wrote:

> The evidence suggests that "Ken Bolingbroke" wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > Presumably, your friends' ISPs already provide mail relay services
> for
> > their dialup.  The easiest course of action is to have each of
your
> users
> > use their own dial-up provider's mail relay for outgoing SMTP,
even
> if
> > they use your mail server's POP for incoming mail.  That way, you
> don't
> > need to worry about opening yourself up to abuse from anyone else
> who
> > shares the same ISPs as your users.
> >
> > The somewhat harder course of action would be to use SMTP AUTH,
> which asks
> > for a login and password before allowing relay, but the end-user's
> client
> > has to support it.
> >
> > Ken
>
> Yes... that is exactly what I would like to do.  I am positive that
> all my users are using Windows machines and just about all the
Windows
> mail readers (Outlook and Outlook Express, most likely) support SMTP
> AUTH.  I would even like to go further and use SPA (Secure Password
> Authentication) for my SMTP, as well as my POP server, but I don't
> know if that is supported by Sendmail.
>
> ---
> Jason

As I just tried to send the above message, the reason why I need my
own SMTP server is appearent.  My isp's SMTP server refused to relay
the e-mail because of the sender's e-mail address... mine
(jason@jason-n3xt.org).

I am sorry that this thread has become so long, but there has to be a
way to do what I need to do.  =)  I just need help finding it.

Thanks as always...

---
Jason
jason@jason-n3xt.org