Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:23:24 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Which PCI Ethernet card is best for FreeBSD-current?

On Thu, Oct 02, 1997 at 02:54:57PM +0930, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Could someone share his experience with me and tell about 2-3 best models?
> > Stability is more essential than performance for me.
>
> Anything using the Realtek RTL8029 will be stable, for sure.  Almost
> any "NE2000 compatible" card will do.  Performance won't be so great
> though (but quite adequate).
>
> Alternatively many vendors do cards based on the Digital DC2104x chips,
> and these perform better and are also generally very stable.

Fastest and possibly best supported should be the EtherExpress/Pro 100B
card (10/100). Supports full duplex mode. As far as I remember Rodney
said about this card, that it is very server friendly.

This card has been recommended many times on different fbsd mailinglists.
So if there would be a problem with this card, people would surely
complain very loud and clear ;-)

I suggest best would be to browse the fbsd mailing list archive
for technical discussion about this card, to be sure.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                    powered by ,,symmetric multiprocessor FreeBSD''
andreas@klemm.gtn.com            - http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html