Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:06:25 -0500
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Max Okumoto <okumoto@ucsd.edu>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are are you devel on?

Hello!

I've committed a set of patches to the libh source tree to make
libh link against rhtvision while tvision doesn't compile in -current.

I didn't touch the parts of Hui you committed (lib/Hui, lib/HuiTv, lib/HuiQt).

I don't like rhtvision very much. It links against X11 which defeats its
purpose completely, IMHO. As much as we can, we should try to stick with
tvision.

Also note the head of the Makefile.inc file:

.include "Makefile.version"

.if ${OSVERSION} < 500035
CC=                             gcc31
CXX=                    g++31
BUILD_DEPENDS+= gcc31:${PORTSDIR}/lang/gcc31
MAKE_ENV+=              CC=${CC} CXX=${CXX}
.endif

So libh now compiles with GCC 3.1 by default. This is to make libh
compilable under -current. Alex and I worked out the transition pretty
smoothly.

Overall, I think we should develop under -current and keep -current as
the primary target system for libh, since libh isn't likely to be
deployed on the (soon to be retired) -stable branch. However, I've been
saying that'd be switching to -current for months without doing it by
lack of time. :)

I'm ambivalent WRT Qt. I guess we should follow the trend and upgrade. I
don't think creating a slave static port for qt3 should be much of a problem.

As an aside, we shouldn't technically need the static Qt libraries to
statically link against it. We should fix dynamic linking instead of
looking at static Qt. But this is just wishing. :)

Max, if you've got patches to make tvision compile under -current, I'm
pretty sure ports@freebsd.org would be interested. Alex could probably
commit them if they get approved.

In other words, no one is maintaining tvision. We could assume
maintainership since we're pretty much the only consumers of the port. :)

I'd be curious to see if libh could compile against a shared qt. I know
that it used to need the static port, but I'm not sure it's still true.

I don't have much time to work on libh these days. I'll be leaving town
for 2 weeks on december 23rd but I'll probably take a look at all this
after. :)

Cheers!

A.