Date:      Fri, 30 May 2003 10:20:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        cisbjc@cs.unisa.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hermes based cards & MonitorMode/Hostap

In message: <3ED6A408.1060003@cs.unisa.edu.au>
            Benjamin Close <cisbjc@cs.unisa.edu.au> writes:
:     Does anyone know if there is plans to support hostap or monitor mode
: on the hermes based chipset wireless cards?

No.  You can't do hostap based stuff on hermes firmware.

: I know hostap requires a tertiary firmware to be uploaded to the card so
: would probably violate the BSD license. But monitor mode doesn't.

The tertiary firmware turns the card into an access point.  There's
very little host control from what I've seen.  However, distributing
the tertiary firmware isn't a violation of BSD license, but it is a
violation of the intellectual proprty of whomever owns the lucent IP
for wavelan these days.

Monitor mode only works on some versions of the hermes firmware.
There's some patches floating around for it, but they haven't been
integrated into the tree yet.

Warner