Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:16:04 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Troi Eisler <teisler@istar.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.com
Subject:   Re: Invalid argument while mounting /usr partition during install

On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 07:33:17AM -0700, Troi Eisler wrote:
> Hi.  I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a NEC 6010H with a 1.4GB
> HD.  I can get my hardware successfully configured. But, once my
> partitions setup and I select "Q" to continue I always get the error:
> Error mounting /mnt/dev/wd0s1f on /mnt/usr: Invalid argument.
>
> I have tried many different things including decreasing the size of the
> partition with no success.  Here is how I have the slice partitioned:
>
> wd0s1a  /         32MB UFS Y
> wd0s1b  swap     105MB SWAP
> wd0s1e  /var      30MB UFS Y
> wd0s1f  /usr    3359MB UFS Y
>
> FreeBSD is the only OS on this drive and the newfs commands have been
> left at their default (newfs -b 8192 -f  1024.

Under those circumstances, I wouldn't expect any problems at all.

> Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Probably a *lot* more detail (like a step-by-step).  You report a
message above:

> once my partitions setup and I select "Q" to continue I always get
> the error: Error mounting /mnt/dev/wd0s1f on /mnt/usr: Invalid
> argument.

That's not quite correct: you wouldn't get this message until you
commit.  To understand this one, I really need the *exact* details.
I'd suspect that the partition editor is getting confused.

While you're trying, try both with a boot manager and "dangerously
dedicated" (in other words, no partition table).  One may work.

Greg