Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 00:43:23 +1000 (EST)
From:      Greg Holloway <freelist@studioweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with booting FreeBSD

I'm in the process of converting from linux to FreeBSD and I'm having a
few major problems:

a. How do I change the floppy boot disk to mount /dev/sd0a as root device?
   (The boot manager doesn't work with my HD)

b. I can boot manually by typing 'sd(0,a)/kernel' at the boot manager prompt,
   but if I copy /kernel to /kernel.another and type 'sd(0,a)/kernel.another'
   at bootup, it gives the error "Invalid format!".

c. Similar to (b), every time I compile a new kernel, and "make install",
   when I type 'sd(0,a)/kernel' at bootup, it says "Invalid format!".
   (The kernel compiles okay and appears to install okay).

Any assistance would be *greatly* appreciated.  I am very keen to
migrate to FreeBSD as I feel it is much more secure and stable than Linux.

Thanks
Greg H <greg@studioweb.com>