Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:26:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support (please don't)

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, W Gerald Hicks wrote:

> > Also note that all userland programs (with the exception of dosemu)
> > are command line driven.  Running them by clicking on them in X will
> > most likely do nothing.  This doesn't belong in the base system,
> > instead it's a standard should be proposed to the GNOME, KDE and other
> > windowing systems people.
>
> A resource fork can be useful to help application developers targeting
> multiple OS's.  Each OS seems to have its own special rules about where
> supplemental static data should be stored.
>
> Often a vendor will shrug the burden and offer support for only one or
> two OS's.  Having a resource fork within executable images might help
> make multiple target support more manageable for ISV types.
>
> It would not be an error to have a null resource fork...
>
> The concept isn't necessarily limited to GUI applications and has been
> successfully used by OS/2, Macs and Windows among others.  I'm not aware
> of anything similar for any Unix but ELF seems to open the door for
> interesting possibilities there too.

Agreed, but I think you're missing the point.  It's not the HAVING of a
resource fork that's the key, any programmer working in isolation can
have that.  It's the having a standard place to stick those resource
forks, and a standard method to get and find them, that's the key thing.

Doing this via elf, that could be a godsend, because it's such a natural
place to stick things.  That's why I asked for a standard API for such a
thing.  Folks probably looked at that request anf thought "but it's
trivial and can be done via objcopy now" but it's the advertising of the
standard, that FreeBSD will offer this neat place to put things, and a
standard way to get at them, that's where the real value lies.

> Cheers,
>
> Jerry Hicks
> wghicks@bellsouth.net

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).