Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:08:56 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Steve Tremblett" <sjt@cisco.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DSL PPPoE with 2 NICs

Steve writes:

> 1 - vi is universal.  It is worth knowing simply
> becuase it is the only editor that you can count
> on being present on practically every *NIX
> system.

I guess that is potentially useful; but I only have two UNIX systems that I
access currently, and they are both FreeBSD.

> It is built to run under the most basic terminals,
> which makes it suitable for hostile conditions.

I haven't seen a basic terminal in at least 15 years.

> 2 - vi has the appealing quality of requiring ONLY
> the core keyboard - NO arrow keys, NO mouse,
> NO function keys.

I haven't seen a keyboard without arrow keys or function keys in about 15 years,
either.  I've occasionally seen a system without a mouse, though.

> No command is perfectly intuitive in any system

I dunno.  The arrow keys are pretty intuitive.  Unfortunately they don't seem to
behave as intuition predicts under vi, although they do under joe.

> How intuitive is alt-f4?

I don't know.  I don't recall ever using it.  What is it supposed to do?

> Can you indent an entire section of text with
> a couple of keystrokes in notepad?

No, but I can't remember the last time I wanted to do that.

> Can you search and replace on a pattern in notepad?

See above.

> How about a simple trick like knowing your
> parentheses match up properly?

See above.

There seem to be lots and lots of text files for things like configuration in
UNIX.  Manipulating these doesn't require any of the above functions.

> Just as alt-f opens the file menu in most windows
> applications ...

Does it?  Hmm ... I learned something new.  I just use the mouse and click on
the menu item that interests me.  It's easier than memorizing keystroke
sequences.

> vi is a powerful tool, and any powerful tool requires
> time to learn.  Just because it isn't apparent to
> you, that doesn't make it a "joke".

For the editing I want to do, I don't need a powerful tool, I need an intuitive
tool.  Additionally, vi reeks of dumb terminals and thirty-year-old timesharing
environments.  While some aspects of both remain applicable in the present day,
most do not.  I'm not working on a teletype these days, so I don't need an
editor that can accommodate one.