Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 00:53:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Stephan Beal <stephan.beal@einsurance.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting rid of FreeBSD partitions?

Stephan Beal <stephan.beal@einsurance.de> types:
> It wasn't my intention to blame FreeBSD, or start a flame war (yes, I see=
>  how=20
> it came across that way, and I appologize). it turns out that the problem=
> =20
> seems to be more a fault of a missing (visibly, anyway) option in fdisk. =
> I=20
> would suggest to any BSD installation maintainers that they make the Writ=
> e=20
> option visible in the fdisk setup.

There was some discussion of this recently on either -current or
cvs-all. It's not shown because it's dangerous, and not normally
needed. I believe they've decided to document it in the help text, but
still not show it in the menu. Thus, someone like you who really
needed it should find it, but the casual user who doesn't won't be
tempted to try to "just to see what it does."

	<mike