Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 96 17:20:35 -0500
From:      John Soward <soward@neworder.cc.uky.edu>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, Domingo Siliceo <dsiliceo@adam.es>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinions?

> It's actually not the important figure to look at.  Initial hardware and
> software costs are a miniscule portion of the cost of deploying any system
> on this scale.  If you can show that solution X takes less time to install,
> is easier to configure, is easier to upgrade, and requires minimal staff
> training time to use, (along with being robust and fast, etc) you'll get
> people to listen.

Here, Here. I deployed a POP server serving > 25,000 users, pusing well over
1G of mail/week...I hardly touch it now, I'd say < 5 hours/week and most of
that is not nec needed enhancements. I fiddled with a toy one on NT with just a
few dummy users, and spent more time than that with it...Aside from the POP
and other mail related stuff, I'd hate to have to manage 25,000+ users under an
NT system...Probably 100 users a day are added/deleted/changed, all handled
elsewhere on a Sybase database and processed with a bunch of Perl scripts..

PS: I didn't use FreeBSD, but HPUX, however every indication is that a P-Pro
with similar disk/RAM/Fddi would perform just as well as the K200 I'm using.

---
John Soward		<a href="http://www.uky.edu/~soward">JpS</a>;
Systems Programmer 	'The Midnight sun will burn you up.'
University of Kentucky    (NeXT and MIME mail OK)         -R. Smith
:::I'm not speaking for UK. I may not even be speaking for myself:::