Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:37:13 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (was Discussion : Using DHCP) - Now 'Config Databases'

Jonathan M. Bresler writes:

> > Ok - granted - Maybe we should be more concerned with 'applications'
> > corrupting the database - and if so have a nicer way to correct it (Ok, read
> > - 'anyway' to correct it) unlike Windows '95 / NT - in which the registry is
> > largely seen as an unindexed black whole...
>
> 	more than once i have damaged my computer's configuration
> 	enough that i was unable to complete booting.

	[...]

> 	any registry or LDAP database or what have you, needs
> 	an ascii "save my ass please" mode.

	I thought this was where the Nifty Portal Hack came in -- with
	/etc a portal FS, and where doing "vi /etc/fstab" actually called up the
	right hooks in the DB, and presented to you an ascii file.
	(as in: scsi -p -e, f.e.)

	As for applications ruining the database, Terry did say,
	"enforce a schema" -- meaning no application should be allowed
	to submit a flawed change and get away with it -- just like
	pwd_mkdb.  If it's corrupt, it's not validated.

> 	without that its a great leap backward into the abyss ;)

	Yes, but think of the momentum gained! :-)

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
     «Pluto placed his bad dog at the entrance of Hades to keep the dead