Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:11:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Dumb "Raw mode" CD copying question...

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it> types:
> > BTW, cdrao enables me to copy all the tracks of an audio CD in a shot. I=
> >
> > have looked at the existing software in the ports; I seem to find out al=
> > kinds of manipulation programs ("rippers", "converters", etc.)
>
> cdrdao also works on other cds. I've not tried it on data cds, but
> I use it to back up my PlayStation disks so they kids don't
> destroy the originals. It winds up backing up two tracks.

Erm, and these work without you having to put that special little chip
in your playstation?  If so, was there any trick?  Did you do the copy
in "raw" mode?

The only problem with raw mode is it takes a "special" (read as
"el-cheapo", akin to a winmodem or winprinter) CD-writer to write
them.  My rather nice Yamaha CRW8424S doesn't have a raw write mode, I
don't think, because it actually has brains and implements cue sheets
like most CD writers do.  The "good" CD writers handle calculating and
writing the P and Q sub-channels for you, which is where a lot of that
information is stored that you need to successfully copy
"copy-protected" CDs.  Isn't it ironic that the cheapest of the CD
writers will copy the copy-protected CDs?  I wonder what the people
who come up with the copy protection schemes think of that.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org