Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 23:31:54 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: bind-8 import

Andreas Klemm wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 06:50:36PM +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > The other possibility is to move the named executable to /usr/libexec/
> > named, and make /usr/sbin/named a shell wrapper script or something that
> > can detect an old-style config and do a temporary conversion with a LOUD
> > warning at boot time.  This should be the least suprise option.
>
> If /usr/sbin/named is a wrapper script, then we'd need something
> like /usr/libexec/named4 and /usr/libexec/named8, so we'd have
> *two* named's in the source tree. I don't like this ... although
> I like your way of being friendly to the users ;-)

No, I'm talking about something like this:

cat named.sh
#! /bin/sh
args=$*
oldconf=`echo $args | grep /etc/namedb/named.boot`
if [ x"$oldconf" != x ]; then
  rm -f /tmp/named.conf.*
  newfile=`mktemp /tmp/named.conf.XXXXXX`
  /etc/namedb/named-bootconf.pl < /etc/namedb/named.boot > $newfile
  args="$args -c $newfile"
  echo "HEY!! update your named.boot file!!" 1>&2
fi
exec /usr/libexec/named $args

What this means..  If named is started with /etc/namedb/named.boot in it's
arguments, then we convert it to a /tmp temporary file and run the real
named with an appended -c argument.  Multiple instances of -b or -c
override the previous ones, so this is ok as a hack.

I'm most definately NOT talking about keeping around the old bind.

Cheers,
-Peter