Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:27:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Mark Thornton <mark@corridor.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem installing...

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Mark Thornton wrote:

> I am trying to install the the stable version of the OS and I continue to
> get the message "can't CD to '4.0-STABLE'... on this server".
>
> It is obvious that I don't get it, and the docs don't cover how to install
> release vs. stable vs. current. I downloaded the floppies from the

The docs cover how to install a release.
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

Stable and current are advanced topics. You don't install them in any way
resembling the installation of a released version.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html

> 4.0-STABLE version on releng4.freebsd.org, what else was I supposed to do?
> Where are the concise docs on this procedure?

Somehow you found out about stable and current. Could you please tell me
where you found out about them? It seems folks have been trying to
_install_ stable and current as if they were releases.  I am wondering if
something on the website is misleading or if people are just guessing.

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells