Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:31:54 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support (please don't)

[[ cc lines trimmed ]]

PEOPLE.  PLEASE TRIM THE CC LINES!!!!  Thanks

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9904281422550.378-100000@picnic.mat.net> Chuck Robey writes:
: Doing this via elf, that could be a godsend, because it's such a natural
: place to stick things.  That's why I asked for a standard API for such a
: thing.  Folks probably looked at that request anf thought "but it's
: trivial and can be done via objcopy now" but it's the advertising of the
: standard, that FreeBSD will offer this neat place to put things, and a
: standard way to get at them, that's where the real value lies.

I agree completely.  We need a standard way of doing this, and that's
why the OS people are doing it, not the X people...  It isn't just for
X things.

Warner