Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:19:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Charlie Roots <root@isis.dynip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

If possible, please use Subject: lines.  Thanks.

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Charlie Roots wrote:

> I was able to setup my freebsd box to look as a full
> inet host, setup sendmail to send and receive mail
> directly to my machine and bypass my ISP completely,
> and was able to setup the hardware devices I have with
> few exceptions.

Nice ;-)

> I was also able to put up some inet daemons, although
> still glitchy over some configuration problems, the
> question is;
>
> 1. Where do I fit in the spectrum starting with
> unix-illiterates and unix-gurus.

unix-know-enough-to-be-dangerous, probably. :-)

> 2. what resources, books, web-site links, gopher,
> archie, wais, whatever I need to become a REAL unix
> guru, without having to forget about my present carreer
> and go to Berlkey or MIT to have a PhD in computer
> siences.

http://www.freebsd.org/:
	. handbook
	. mail archives
"The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey, available from Walnut Creek and
   bookstores
"UNIX System Administration Handbook, 2nd Ed." by Nemeth et. al.
"TCP/IP Network Administration" from O'Reilly
Lots of other books from O"Reilly

A good pile to start with.