Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:56:36 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade + ruby-uri dependency ?

Hello Kevin,

> >> Basically ruby-URI has now been incorporated into the main Ruby package.
> >> Just remember that little bit of trivia when you run pkgdb -F and you
> >> should be okay.
> >
> >That is I should point pkgdb -F to the main ruby port or just keep
> >things as they are?
>
> I point things to the main Ruby port usually, but in theory you can just
> keep ignoring the warning.  As I have a recent enough Ruby to contain
> the URI modules I also deleted the Ruby-URI port and haven't had any
> problems yet, but that's more up to you.

O.k., as somebody told me the compile process of ruby will be small, I
deleted the ruby and portupgrade packages and compiled everything from
ports. The dependency problem is solved now. No ruby-uri anymore, so no
problem to find its origin. :-)

> Basically Ruby-URI can be pretty much ignored these days.  I've not seen
> or heard of any problems regarding it yet although I guess there's
> always a first.

It really seems to be included in the main ruby.

> >As a side note, if there is a change in the strucutre of a port, why
> >isn't this reflected in a new package? How long is the normal time to
> >go, before a package belonging to a new port will see the light of
> >ftp.freebsd.org?
>
> I'm not really sure to be honest.  I don't think that ports really has a
> setting to deal with changes as when something is moved it seems to
> create an awful lot of confusion.

I read the porter's handbook tonight and I found that you shouldn't send
any packages to the port maintainers (as they are able to build them
themselves). So I wonder who will trigger the creation of a new package
and put in on the ftp site.

> Certainly using portupgrade doesn't
> seem to pick up on much and it's basically just a front end to the main
> ports tools.  It looks like you can fix a lot of things but removing the
> old port and dependencies before putting a new version in but that seems
> like more work than ports should require.

A correct pkg database is valuable and portupgrade saves you time in
keeping it so.

Thanks for your input.

Ciao
SIegbert