Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 00:00:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Lyon <blyon@blindfaith.org>
To:        Michael Sharp <freebsd@ec.rr.com>
Cc:        behanna@zbzoom.net, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: libparanoia

From the GCC manpage:

              The  directories  searched include several standard
              system directories plus any that you  specify  with
              `-L'.

              Normally  the  files  found  this  way  are library
              files--archive  files  whose  members  are   object
              files.  The linker handles an archive file by scan-
              ning through it for members  which  define  symbols
              that  have  so far been referenced but not defined.
              However, if the linker  finds  an  ordinary  object
              file  rather  than  a  library,  the object file is
              linked in the usual fashion.  The  only  difference
              between  using an `-l' option and specifying a file
              name is that `-l' surrounds library with `lib'  and
              `.a' and searches several directories.

hence either order should work, as well as:
-L/usr/local/lib/libparanoia.so

	--Ben

Ben Lyon					blyon@blindfaith.org
						(415)286-0896