Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 00:01:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        ALBERTO PICCOLI <piccolial@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD from the CD Live File System

On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, ALBERTO PICCOLI wrote:

> Hi,
>    I have e portable pc whit no more space.
>
>    Can I use FreeBSD from the CD Live File System ?

The LFS is meant for recovering lost files or borrowing for static
storage.  You can't save anything on it or make changes.  You have to
create a MFS /tmp to put temporary files to, and since you can't modify
fstab on a CD to do that, you're probably sunk.

>    My LapTop use the floppy on the parallel port,
>    then if the answer is  yes it is also possible to start
>    FreeBsd without using the Floppy.

Parallel floppy?  Barf!  Does FreeBSD find it as a standard floppy in this
case?  I think there may be some magic at work to have this DTRT.