Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:48:00 -0500
From:      "John Straiton" <jks@clickcom.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   OT: Sendmail issues

I know this isn't really the place for this, however comp.mail.sendmail
hasn't been of any help so I'm hoping one of you geniuses has an idea
what to do here before I go nuts.

I am getting the
554 5.0.0 MX list for domain.com points back to myhost.name.com 554
5.3.5 <user@domain.com>... Local configuration error
(names changed of course)

This is caused because in our company, DNS entries are *always* set up
to MX to our mail server regardless if the customers are going to use
it. This makes enabling email on a domain easier on down the road.
However, the problem is that now that over 2000 domains are pointing
at the machine, we get around 300 or so postmaster messages a day with
this complaint in them. That clutter is bad enough that we're
sometimes missing the messages that we really do need to look at (spam
complaints, our own email being returned, etc). What I'd like to do is
make sendmail either A) send these specific errors to another user
(not postmaster) while leaving all the other errors to natural means
or B) /dev/null the the 554 5.0.0 things.

In trying ./sendmail -bt, and using all the rule numbers I could find
in my sendmail.cf, I was unable to find a rule that seemed to make the
discovery that domain.com == myhost.name.com. In looking through the
setup, it appears that this actual error message text actually comes
out of /src/domain.h which I'm not about to try poking around in.

Since we have multiple mail servers, and some bizarrely custom
configurations, simply adding all the domains in BIND to
local-host-names is not an option.

What to do? Thoughts?

John Straiton
ClickCom, Inc.