Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:35:59 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using AMD to share /usr/ports ...

I'm going through all the various docs that I can find, but, so far, not
finding what I'm searching for ...

Basically, I want to 'share' /usr/ports as transparently as possible
amongst several machines ... I want the end users to be able to run
pkg_version -c, but not have to think of doing a 'mount' before that ...

So, I setup a very simple 'ports.map' file:

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/amd.map,v 1.8 1999/09/13 17:09:07 peter Exp $
#
/defaults    type:=nfs;opts:=rw,intr,nosuid,grpid
*            rhost:=proxy.acadiau.ca;rfs:=/usr/ports

and run amd as:

amd /usr/ports /etc/ports.map

but, if I 'ls /usr/ports', nothing shows up ... if I do an 'ls
/usr/ports/textproc', the mount is then created, but the symlinks are all
wrong:

atelier# pwd
/usr/ports
atelier# ls -lt
total 1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  25 Mar 22 14:33 textproc -> /.amd_mnt/proxy/usr/ports
atelier#

So, what am I missing here?  I'd like to eventually do /usr/src as well,
so that my disk usage on each system is as small as possible, but also so
tht I have one central location to update ...

Thanks ...