Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:56:18 -0600
From:      steve <tresstatus@butler.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   pcm and AC97 microphone issues with 5.2 RELEASE

I recently installed 5.2-RELEASE from scratch on another partition in my
windows box.  Being a windows box, I still have my windows sound card.
Hercules Game Theatre XP is my sound card.  At first I was having
crackly sound problems.  I fixed those with a patch I found on the
mailing list.  This effectively turned on the amp in the breakout box
for the sound card.  I'm still having mic problems.  Both before and
after I applied this patch, my microphone was extremely slow.  It slow
the sound down really bad.  I tried using it in TeamSpeak and that's how
I noticed the problem. Everyone was saying that I sounded like jabba the
hut.  So I started doing some investigating.  I've searched the
newsgroups and the lists and can't find a valid patch to fix this.  I
tested it myself by doing "cat /dev/audio > /dev/audio".  Here's what my
dmesg says about pcm.

pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> on csa0
pcm0: <Unknown AC97 Codec (id = 0x4352592d)>

Does anyone know how to fix this?  Is there a patch that fixes this that
I just haven't found?  Like I said, I've googled the newsgroups, I've
searched the freebsd list archives, and I've even asked in almost every
freebsd channel that I can find on IRC.

Thanks,
steve