Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 19:56:27 -0500
From:      devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
To:        jacks@sage-american.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has Lynx Changed In 4.5?  Bug?

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 03:09:20PM -0600, jacks@sage-american.com wrote:
> Drew: I have not upgraded from 4.4 to 4.5 yet, but since yesterday at about
> 4:30pm (Central Time) until this morning, I had the same problem. No
> changes to my system at all. My IP would mysteriously change to IP that
> belonged to other domains. I would have to go and manually insert and
> update the record at ZoneEdit and it would be okay for a little while and
> change again. It seemed to relate to whenever my cron job pinged to check
> the record....
>
> Has been okay for several hours now. Is your still doing it....?

> ZoneEdit didn't seem to know what I was talking about since everytime they
> would look, it would have been fixed my me....
>
> At 10:55 AM 2.1.2002 -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> >I use ZoneEdit as the nameserver for my domain.  My IP address is
> >dynamic so it changes occasionally.  I have used lynx to update
> >ZoneEdit for the past year or so and it has worked flawlessly.  I just
> >send this command (my mailer will surely wrap the line):
> >
> >lynx -source -auth=mylogin:mypass
> >'http://dynamic.zoneedit.co/auth/dynamic.html?host=www.mykitchentable.
> >net'
> >
> >After upgrading my 4.4 to 4.5 two days ago, there has been 2 times
> >that lynx has sent the wrong IP address to ZoneEdit.  I'm sure it's
> >lynx as my logfile indicates the incorrect address.  However most of
> >the time it sends the right address.
> >
> >Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Drew
> >

> Best regards,
> Jack L. Stone,
> Server Admin

> Sage-American
> http://www.sage-american.com
> jacks@sage-american.com

Just chiming in that I'm having the same problem. Whenever I use lynx to
dynamically update the IP, it gets set to something completely random.
This is with 5 domains served up by zoneedit's DNS servers. I've had to
kill the cron job that does the updates for now...

--devin
--
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen: whatever you say to them they
translate into their own language, and forthwith it is something