Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2017 19:48:36 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Want info: most recent known-working TARGET_ARCH=powerpc head -r version usable on the likes of the PowerMac G5 so-called "Quad Core"?

I'm looking for reports of when TARGET_ARCH=powerpc
builds last were able to boot the likes of PowerMac
G5 so-called "Quad Core"s. Other PowerMac G5's should
be a fit. I may need to do a bisect in part based on
this information.

Details of the context for the question follow.

The only powerpc family member that I currently have
access to is a PowerMac G5 so-called "Quad Core".

[Note: After -r313254 (or a little more) locking has been
worked on and TARGET_ARCH=powerpc64 has been messed up
until the fixes in -r314474. I've done nothing with
TARGET_ARCH=powerpc over this time but did some of the
powerpc64 testing.]

My intent was to test the new locking for
TARGET_ARCH=powerpc but I did not get that far.

Note: My context is clang 3.9.1 experiments for
TARGET_ARCH=powerpc head builds. But I'm happy with
information based on gcc 4.2.1 . I'd be surprised if
many folks are trying clang given its powerpc problems.

I tried to build and install TARGET_ARCH=powerpc.

This used to boot (with one oddity) but I've not
attempted it since something like 2016-Nov sometime
--or even before.

When I tried -r314479 for TARGET_ARCH=powerpc it failed
(manually transcribed):

exec /sbin/init: error 13

fatal kernel trap:

exception = 0x600 (alignment)
ssr0      = 0x88a754
ssr1      = 0x9032
lr        = 0x88a548
curthread = 0x1477a20
pid = 1, comm = kernel

[ thread pid 1 tid 100002 ]
Stopped at sf_bug_alloc+0x24c: stw r5,0x4(r3)
db:0:kdb.enter.default> bt
Tracing pid 1 tid 100002 td 0x1477120
0xdf5e06c0: at exec_map_first_page+0x510
0xdf5e0750: at kern_execve+0x3e4
0xdf5e0990: at sys_execve+0x6c
0xdf5e09f0: at start_init+0x2d0
0xdf5e0a50: at fork_exit+0xcc
0xdf5e0a80: at fork_trampoline+0xc
db>

[Note this is before the PowerMac can accept input to the
db> prompt. I have a compiled-in script automatically run
to produce a bt when ddb is started. No serial console
context is set up.]

Sometimes it hangs without showing the "fatal kernel trap"
and later text but is does report the "error 13".

I've tried both a amd64 -> TARGET_ARCH=powerpc cross build
and building on powerpc64 with TARGET_ARCH=powerpc. Same
basic results both ways. The above is from the amd64 based
cross build.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net