Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:27:27 +0100
From:      Markus Brueffer <markus@brueffer.de>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hccontrol and BT 1.2 updates

--nextPart60033000.dxyZW883uG

Hi Maksim,

Am Tuesday 21 February 2006 04:46 schrieb Maksim Yevmenkin:
> > Updated ng_hci.h for bluetooth 1.2:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~markus/bt/ng_hci.h.diff
>
> i briefly looked at this and it looks fine to me. i have just one minor
> comment. you have re-named NG_HCI_OCF_{READ,WRITE}_PAGE_SCAN_PERIOD and
> NG_HCI_OCF_{READ,WRITE}_PAGE_SCAN commands. i guess, you have done this
> so the freebsd name matches the bluetooth name. that is fine. i have no
> objections to this, but we also need to rename these commands in other
> places, i.e.

Oh, that was unintentionally. That was one of the last changes I made to th=
e=20
header under the assumption it was some of the new code I added myself. I'l=
l=20
revert that change, doublecheck everything else and commit it to -current=20
tonight.

> > Updated hccontrol with updated vendor list, feature reporting including
> > bluetooth v1.2 and v2.0 and updated version strings for HCI and LMP
> > according to the official description:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~markus/bt/hccontrol.diff
>
> this looks fine. to my taste, it has some extra verbosity, i.e.
>
> HCI version: Bluetooth HCI Specification 2.0 [0x3]
> LMP version: Bluetooth LMP 2.0 [0x3]
>
> but, again, its just me.

I chose those strings because they seem to be the official version strings:
https://www.bluetooth.org/foundry/assignnumb/document/hci_assigned_numbers
https://www.bluetooth.org/foundry/assignnumb/document/link_manager_protocol

Any opinions from the other mailinglist readers?

> > The latter one reports versions and features on a Belkin BT 2.0 dongle =
as
> > follows:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~markus/bt/bt20features.txt
>
> looks great!
>
> > I think, at least the version reporting part and the updated vendor list
> > could be added to our current hccontrol.
>
> agreed. please commit and mfc it to releng_6,5.

Cool, will do so tonight.

> > I'm currently thinking about incorporating libhci, which I'm currently
> > writing, into libbluetooth, like the bluez people do since recently and
> > would like the future hccontrol to be based on it where possible. Any
> > thoughts?
>
> i looked at the code in your home directory on freefall. is this the
> latest version?

The latest version already contains all bluetooth 1.2 function equivalents=
=20
that are available in bluez's hcilib. More will be added in the process of=
=20
updating the hci layer and hccontrol to full 1.2 support. I still have to=20
test a lot of them, so it will take some days until I can send you a usable=
=20
version for review.

> also, i think you should go ahead and start committing libhci(3) code.
> once its done, hccontrol(8) should be converted to use libhci(3).

Great!

> i have your request to include support for bluetooth device enumeration
> and will try to implement it soon. is there anything else we need for
> libhci(3)?

Oh that's awesome! With this we can make the -n parameter of hccontrol=20
optional and use the first found hci device by default. As far as I can tel=
l,=20
there is nothing else needed for now.

Markus

=2D-=20