Date:      Sat, 07 Nov 1998 10:22:51 -0800
From:      Mike Haertel <mike@ducky.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   another small observation

When I type "/sbin/halt", instead of halting back to the SRM
console prompt, the machine goes into a "press any key to
reboot" state, identical with x86.  Then when I hit the any
key, it drops back to the SRM console and immediately
reboots without giving me a chance to get control.

On x86's this concept of "halt" makes sense, since PC BIOSes
typically do not have a halted state.  But on Alphas it's a
real misfeature.  The SRM console is a lot more useful than
a PC BIOS, in fact it's the nicest console I've seen, and it
would be good to be able to get back to it.