Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:46:43 +0300
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        <hawkeyd@visi.com>
Cc:        "questions at FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Changing Make options duing port installation?

From: "D J Hawkey Jr" <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To: "Erik Trulsson" <ertr1013@student.uu.se>; "questions at FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 8:53 PM

[...]
> >   cd /usr/ports/mail/mutt
> >   make WITH_SSL=yes install
>
> OK. I'm familiar enough with development tools. Thanks.
>
> The question then becomes: Can one divine the options available with
> what skeleton files exist, or, more often than not, must one do a generic
> build, then look over the Makefile, config.h, etc., and proceed from
> there with any customizations?

Use portupgade tool! And You'll be able to set this
stuff in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf file.
The corresponding part of mine's one looks like:

  MAKE_ARGS = {
    'mail/mutt' => 'WITH_SLANG=YES',
    'misc/mc' => 'WITH_SLANG=YES',
    'net/cvsup' => 'WITHOUT_X11=YES',
    'russian/X.language' => 'NON_FREE_FONTS=YES',
    'print/ghostscript-gnu' => 'A4=yes',
    'textproc/docproj' => 'JADETEX=yes',
  }

[...]