Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 2001 17:32:26 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD tanks on an Athlon 750

Marc W writes:

> > Most obvious question is what is the status/size of the CPU cache?  Is
> > it disabled in BIOS?
>
>     The motherboard is an Asus K7M -- there are jumpers, but they default
> to being not used, and the motherboard/BIOS automatically detects and
> sets the bus to 100Mhz.  I tried changing it to 150 and got the message
> "warning -- the CPU has been having [sic] overclocked!!!!"

It sounds stupid but try the option for "restore factory defaults" in
the BIOS. After that add your personal tweaks. There are parameters that
can be reset in the BIOS but do not have user interfaces. I had no end
of trouble with an Asus P6NP5 and its floppy interface under FreeBSD
until I tried that on a lark. Of course it worked fine with MS stuff
all along.

It does sound a lot like your BIOS and CPU don't like each other.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net