Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:30:42 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1009909843.94cf09@mired.org>
To:        Hassan Halta <hassan@cs.earlham.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Distribute FreeBSD on huge cluster

Hassan Halta <hassan@cs.earlham.edu> types:
> I am looking for a way that I can distribute FreeBSD on a huge cluster; 26
> machines, but the problem I am running into, is if I used a sysinstall
> scripts, then that would allow me to install a basic FreeBSD distribution,
> and in the future, when I need to install more ports, I need to do that on
> all cluster manually, or just simply do the install again with more
> packaging. I am wondering if I am somewhere in a trap, or if there's a
> quick and an easy way to manage this problem.

Assuming all the machines are going to be roughly identical, you can
simplify things by keeping one copy of the ports tree, distfiles and
packages that are shared by all machines. You then do the build on one
machine, and can just do a pkg_add on all the rest.

The one catch is that you want to set WRKDIRPREFIX to something local
to the machines, as things get screwy if the state of the machine as
recorded in the work dir doesn't match the machine - which happens
very easily if you have shared work directories.

	<mike