Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:33:21 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Bob Van Valzah <Bob@Talarian.Com>, pW <packetwhore@stargate.net>, FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Racoon Problem & Cisco Tunnel

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> It's not really a religious war, because there's valid reasons
> to move to IPv6 and I think it's obvious that ultimately the
> Internet is going to have to go there.  But, what the engineers
> don't understand is that this is a political problem, not a
> technical problem.

No, it's both.  Proactive organizations should be implementing both
early rather than late, and anyone selecting network infrastructure
equipment at this time should be buying equipment that is IPv4 and
IPv6 capable.

> Take some of those large corporations, like SquishySoft, that
> have entire class A's assigned to them, but firewall the entire
> address space off from the public Internet, and only allow
> incoming connections to perhaps 100 of them.  Would you like
> to be the CEO of Squishy when the papers start rolling the story
> of how this company's completely unjustified hanging-on of this
> block is preventing another 16 million people from being brought
> on to the Internet?

Yes, I certainly would.  That's a business asset, and a quite valuable
one.  I have a portable class C that I'm not using at the moment because
my ISP, dunderheads that they are, charge 4x the price of the connection
to route a class C.  If anyone wants to buy this lovely address, bidding
starts at $50,000.  ;^)

Replies directed to -chat.