Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:03:48 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   interface stalling on tx ?

Hi,
I have been hit by the following problem from time to time,
and I was wondering if others have seen it.

This has happened to me with the "em", "sis", "dc" and "fxp" cards,
though it is not always easy to reproduce. But I have seen it enough
times to believe that it is not card-specific.

Basically, what it seems to happen is the following:

If the driver has packets pending in its transmit queue (i.e. stored
there by *_start()), and for some reason the link experiences some
strange event (e.g.  the device at the other end reboots), then
packets pile up in the driver, the queue fills up, and the interface
never resumes transmission until you do an ifconfig down/ ifconfig
up (or some equivalent action is taken independently by the system).

I thought that upon transmission the driver somehow registered a
timeout to take care of these events, but maybe I am wrong ?

Have other people seen this problem too ?

        cheers
        luigi