Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 10:31:10 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Define MAXMEM in GENERIC

On Sun, Mar 14, 1999 at 06:21:38PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> The originator of PR i386/9755 (which related to a 3.0-RELEASE install
> failure) has made a valid point.
>
> We know that some people with >64MB RAM are going to have trouble with
> the speculative memory probe while installing FreeBSD with the GENERIC
> (here read any release) kernel. So why don't we add to GENERIC the
> following line?
>
> options         "MAXMEM=(64*1024)"
>
> The major argument that comes to mind immediately is that people are
> going to end up running sub-optimal servers out-of-the-box. However, the
> change is supported by the following mindset:
>
>     Gain:
> 	Make things easier for people with broken hardware.
>
>     Cost:
> 	Annoy the people who have large memory configurations and who
> 	don't build custom kernels.
>
> I'm of the opinion that we're talking about a number of annoyed people
> so small that the gain is justified.
>
> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

I would agree with that.

Anyone using FreeBSD in that kind of a production environment where this is
important (ie: big file or web servers) almost certainly has to build a
custom kernel for OTHER reasons (like increasing the number of MBUF
clusters).

Therefore, they won't be running GENERIC, and therefore, this won't bite
them after initial installation.  However, it will greatly increase the
odds that an initial install will work, which is the point if we want
better penetration among people who don't "understand these things".

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.