Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:32:33 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        dmaddox@conterra.com
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loss of Functionality with newpnp

> I'm just suggesting here that it would be nice if the authors of
> this code would make it _equally functional_ to what was removed.
> It's not nice to remove functionality unconditionally and then
> provide no replacement at all...

That work is underway, and something to understand about -current
is that it doesn't have to actually work at all times during the
interim periods between releases.  Now, should 4.0 be on the horizon
and the situation still be one where "equivalent functionality"
has not been provided by the newpcm driver, we'll revert back to
the original luigi driver and continue the experiment in the new
post-branch (5.0) current.

- Jordan