Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2019 19:20:41 +0200
From:      Evilham <contact@evilham.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dead slow update servers

On dv., jul. 12 2019, hw@adminart.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> are you guys seriously expecting users to download packages they
> want to
> install at speeds around 25kb/s?  I'm already annoyed about them
> being
> painfully slow when downloads are 1000 times faster than that.
>
> Unless there is a solution to this problem, I will probably give
> up on
> trying out freebsd right away because usage in production even
> on my
> servers at home, let alone at work, simply won't be feasible.

FWIW: I have noticed under *some* (but not all) IPv6-enabled
connections that package downloads go at about that speed.

Until now I had assumed that something could be wrong with those
IPv6 connections. Maybe there is something to look into there.

Just for science, I'd suggest you force IPv4 (pkg -4), see how it
goes, force IPv6 (pkg -6), see how it goes, open a bug about it
with the gathered information.
--
Evilham