Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 00:47:43 -0400
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@torrentnet.com>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
Cc:        "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras@e-gerbil.net>, "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multihomed Routing

> 	Sure that will work.  However, consider the following:
>

> 				Network1 (2000 IP's)
> 			   |---Router1
> 		machine1---|
> 			   |---Router2 (default gateway)
>
> 	What happens to Router2 when machine1 is trying to access the IP's
> 	on Router1's network?  Router2 gets clogged down sending ICMP
> 	redirects for Router1 back to machine1.  The problem grows
> 	exponetially[spelling] when you add more machines to the same
> 	network machine1 is on.

Unless I am missing something the redirect traffic won't
grow exponentially.  Machine1 will get one redirect per
destination D and will switch its route to D to go via
Router1.  From then on it won't bother Router2 for D.  So the
total number of redirects is

    SUM(H[i]) for i = 1..number of servers,
	where H[i] == number of hosts server i talks to.

So yes, there is some extra traffic but assuming your local
network is far faster than your external connections this
shouldn't be a problem (unless you send only a single packet
to each destination).

> 	Keep in mind, it only updates routes on machine1 for that IP...not
> 	the subnet...at least on WInBlows.

As per RFC 1812 a router will only generate host redirects.