Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:23:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wayne M Barnes <stabilizer@klentaq.com>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Stable)
Subject:   Re: ethernet hard or soft failure

Dear M.I.,

   Thank you for your suggestion of how to conditionally
reset my NIC card.  I show below my full implementation.  We'll
see if my FreeBSD3.3 system is more stable now.

Here is my root crontab line:
* * * * * ~wayne/testNIC.sh

Here is my script file testNIC.sh (expanded from your suggestion):
#!/usr/local/bin/tcsh
ping -c 1 128.252.120.1 > /dev/null || \
(~wayne/testNMB; \
echo RESET NIC CARD by testNIC.sh >> ~wayne/NMB.log; \
ifconfig rl0 down; sleep 1; ifconfig rl0 up)

Here is my script file testNMB
netstat -m | diff NMB.boring - | grep ">" >> ~wayne/NMB.log
date >> ~wayne/NMB.log
echo testNMB >> ~wayne/NMB.log
netstat -m > ~wayne/NMB.boring

   If my card is thermally hot, or something (my fan seems okay to me), I'll
get one or two outputs from this in my NMB.log, available at
http://barnes1.wustl.edu/wayne/NMB   for awhile.

Wayne M Barnes      stabilizer@klentaq.com