Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:22:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Boris Spirialitious <hardcodeharry@yahoo.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.x Opteron Question

--- Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org> wrote:
> Boris Spirialitious wrote:
> > --- Boris Spirialitious <hardcodeharry@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>--- Matthew Seaman
> <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>

> came

> >>--

> >>costs

> >>That is very curious to say. Isn't the advantage
> >>of Opteron the superior IO architecture? There is
> >>not much advantage with 64 bit computing. What is
> >>faster about it? Pointers are bigger, so it use
> >>more cache for less. NOt much 64bit math in
> >>OS. Why do you say it will perform worse?
>
> Boris, I am sure you realize that a great deal of
> the 64 bit IO
> architecture is leveraged from the 64 bit
> instructions set, that allows
> things like 64 bit fetches.  Will there be a gain
> without using the 64
> bit instruction set?  Yes.  Will it be as large?
> No.

I do not see that. Most adapter card registers only
32bits, and PCIX dma is 64bits anyway, so what
64bit fetches are there? Larger pointers take
up more cache space. Benchmark show that 64bit
pointers slow memory operation. So the difference
overall may be small.

I not argue about 64bit maybe faster. But the
hypertransport architecture may be enough to
make the cost worthwhile.

Boris