Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:39:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <dga@pobox.com>
To:        meshko@cs.brandeis.edu (Mikhail Kruk)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mindspring complains about intrusive port scans

Tell them to contact the person who sent the complaint in and educate
them.  They should NOT complain that someone tracerouted to or pinged
them.  Period.  This is _normal_ behavior on the Internet.  If they don't
want to deal with traceroutes or pings, they should block it at their
border and be done with it.

The increasing port numbers in the high range suggest that it's a
traceroute.  The person whose IDS reported this system, and then they
acted on it blindly, should be bopped on the head.

  -Dave

work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/