Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:21:21 -0600
From:      Ryan Coleman <ryan.coleman@cwis.biz>
To:        Ryan Coleman <ryan.coleman@cwis.biz>
Cc:        Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>, Jerry Bell <jerry@nrdx.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Runaway ProFTP?

And it's fixed now... not sure what the deal was with portsnap but it =
finally worked. I appreciate all the help.

--
Ryan

On Dec 10, 2010, at 10:59 PM, Ryan Coleman wrote:

> I have not been able to get portsnap to work at all today.
>=20
>=20
> On Dec 10, 2010, at 10:53 PM, Grant Peel wrote:
>=20
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Bell" <jerry@nrdx.com>
weeks. I believe it is caused by someone attacking proftpd.  I noticed =
today that there is an updated version - 1.3.3c that fixes a =
vulnerability that they may have been trying to exploit.
>>>=20
>>> When I looked at the process list, I would see around 20 proftpd's, =
each with a high amount of CPU used, and connected to a specific IP.  =
I'd firewall off those IPs and kill off proftpd/restart.  Knock on wood, =
I have not had that happen since upgrading to 1.3.3c, but that may just =
be because no one has tried again yet.
>>>=20
>>> Jerry
with processes? I installed it about 2 months ago with a new server =
build and over the course of the last three weeks I've had to forcibly =
kill, wait and restart the service every one-to-three days and sucking =
up between 20% and 80% of my system resources.
is causing the problems but I have not been successful. Additionally it =
won't connect after a restart through Filezilla but using Terminal on my =
MBP it will connect in the CLI.
they have to upload large numbers of photos.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Indeed, this Proftpd 1.3.3a vulnerability is exactly what my post on =
upgrading a single port is all about. I can say for a fact that the =
botnets are trying to use the vulnerability and that you are quite =
correct that the CPU /  ZOMBIE processes are exploit related.
>>=20
>> I just upgraded today and so far so good.
>>=20
>> \FYI for anyone that is following my thread on updating one single =
port: I must have a somwhat busted installation. Using port upgrade =
failed ... sorry I did not remember to keep the output, but, I was able =
to download the source from proftpd.org and install it from scratch.