Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:59:05 +0100
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@il.fontys.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE: panic in ffs_valloc

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

Hey guys,

I just tried to boot my UP Pentium 4 with an Intel PIIX4 IDE controller, but
I get the following panic:

| Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a
| WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
| Pre-seeding PRNG: kickstart.
| Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point kickstart.
| swapon: adding /dev/ad0s2b as swap device
| Starting file system checks:
| /dev/ad0s2a: 993 files, 21581 used, 105258 free (1578 frags, 12960 blocks=
, 1.2% fragmentation)
| /dec/ad0s2e: DEFER FOR BACKGROUND CHECKING
| /dec/ad0s2f: DEFER FOR BACKGROUND CHECKING
| /dec/ad0s2d: DEFER FOR BACKGROUND CHECKING
| WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
| WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted
| WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted
| mode =3D 01000, inum =3D 24775, fs =3D /var
| panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
| Uptime: 15s

When I boot the machine in single user mode and try to fsck the partition, I
get the following error like a hundred times:

| PARTIALLY ALLOCED INODE I=3D24764
| UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
|=20
| CLEAR? yes

and eventually:

| fsck_ufs: bad inode number 24768 to nextinode

So this would mean my /var is dead? :D Is it possible to restore my /var
somehow without not reinstalling the machine? (I installed it like 2 weeks
ago) :(

Yours,
--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@il.fontys.nl>