Date:      Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:37:03 -0400
From:      Matthew Hagerty <mhagerty@voyager.net>
To:        "Alex Vargas" <Exel@SpeakEasy.Net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MultiProcessor Support | Kernel recompile query

At 08:50 AM 8/4/2001 -0400, Alex Vargas wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>Using: FreeBSD 4.3-Stable
>Kernal config name: DARKSIDE
>
>I am attempting to recompile my kernel for Multiprocessor support.. I have
>chosen the SMP and APIC_IO options in the new kernel configuration file I am
>using, but when the CONFIG gets to the subsequent configuration options
>which follow, I get an error message:
>
>DARKSIDE:66: unknown option "NCPU"
>Exit 1
>
>This error appears for all the below listed options unless I COMMENT them
>out and then the CONFIG completes. Can anyone advise why this is occurring?
>I wish to specify two CPUs but if it is unnecessary I will go ahead and
>recompile with the below options commmented out.
>-----------
>
>options         NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
>options         NBUS=4                  # number of busses
>options         NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
>options         NINTR=24                # number of INTs
>-------------
>
>Here is my DMESG output:

<snip>

My 4.3 install GENERIC kernel config file (which is usually the one you
copy to make your custom kernel config file) says this:

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

I remember the options you mentioned above, but I don't remember seeing
them since 4.2, so apparently they are not needed any longer.  Also, if I
remember correctly, there is a comment above those options that says they
are the defaults and you only need to un-comment them if you need to change
them.

Getting to the point, no, I don't believe you need them.  Only the two
options SMP and APIC_IO are required.  I'm running an SMP box and that is
all it took for me.

Matthew