Date:      Tue, 01 May 2001 00:43:23 +0100
From:      Moritz Willers <mo@wit.ch>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   umass - SmartMedia Reader/Writer on USB

I'm trying to get a SmartMedia Reader/Writer connected via USB to my FreeBSD
4.3 stable system.

After reading http://lists.suse.com/archives/linux-usb/2000-Jan/1469.html
(skipping all the garbage) and other URL's I am convinced that it should
just be another mass storage device.  Looking at the names of the drivers
they are shipping for MacOS or Windows seems to confirm this.

The message I get, when it is attached, has class, subclass and protocol set
to 0x0, which is typical for mass storage devices as well, as I learned
tonight.  Unfortunately umass doesn't pick it up and it gets dropped into
the ugen class.

usbd: attach event at 988672642.463984000, product 0x0131, Genesys Logic,
Inc.:
  vndr=0x05e3 prdct=0x0131 rlse=0x0000 clss=0x0000 subclss=0x0000
prtcl=0x0000
  device names: ugen0

Any pointers on how I could convince umass to accept the device?  Or will it
not be that simple?  Would really a special driver be needed?

I still believe a combination of umass/camcontrol/mount should do the trick.

any help would be greatly appreciated - mo