Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:24:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Doug Denault <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fresh server sendmail or postfix / webmail.

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020, Marwan Sultan wrote:

> Dear FreeBSDer,

First I concur to the previous responses on postfix. I recently updated a
postfix/cyrus mail server almost as old as yours. I made an error and got
confused from a structural change in postfix. The mailing list was most
helpful, even in the face of my strongly held, but wrong, idea about the
problem.

> Good day/evening.
>
> I have up and running mail server with some web apps, server running
> since many y$
>
> I have up and running mail server with some web apps, server running
> since many years back until today (7-Release, ? ) its time to move to a
> new server! thank you freebsd!

As do the others, I think so. Sendmail essentially stopped making
improvements to the open source version when it launched its commercial
offering in 1998. Anything that was difficult to do then is still hard to
do.

> if yes, is installing postfix from /ports enough?

In most cases yes (I think). We changed from sasldb to SQL authentication
and had some documentation issues mostly with cyrus as I recall. We use
poudriere but mostly for the convenience of updating several servers.

> 2.
> any recommendation for a webmail ? (maybe roundcube) ?
> (on my old server openwebmail works great! but unfortunately, its
outdated)

We also are offering Squirrelmail and Roundcube.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug@safeport.com