Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 2004 02:59:44 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
Subject:   Re: PF and FreeBSD 5.x?

--Boundary-02=_JEPRB4dEnIyuBGM

On Monday 13 September 2004 02:36, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> I noticed the existance of the /etc/pf.conf and /etc/pf.os.  The file
> pf.conf makes reference to /usr/share/pf, which does not exist.  Further
> looking through LINT, there does not appear to be a way to enable PF as
> opposed to IPFILTER or IPFIREWALL.  So, is PF to be available for
> 5.3-RELEASE?  If so, how can I expect to use this under the current
> 5.3-BETA4?

You can build pf into your kernel by putting:
 device pf
 device pflog
 device pfsync
into your KERNCONF. The latter two are optional. Alternatively you can use =
the=20
loadable module. In any case you can enable pf by setting:
 pf_enable=3D"YES"
in /etc/rc.conf. For additional tweaks see the rc.conf(5) manpage. And yes,=
=20
this is supposed to work in BETA4 "out-of-the-box".

The missing share/pf is a shortcoming that should be addressed.=20
Maybe /etc/pf.conf should even be removed in order to avoid mergemaster (or=
=20
the like) running over a good pf.conf.

Can you submit the share/pf issue as a PR so that I keep track of it, pleas=
e?

=2D-=20