Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:48:18 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP ISA modem, pnp, PPP and 2.2.6

Viren R. Shah said:
>[Note: this is the first time I've ever tried to use a modem with
>FreeBSD (or any UNIX, for that matter), so I might be missing
>something pretty simple]
>
>I'm having trouble getting my PnP modem configured in 2.2.6-RELEASE. I
>configured my system to use the pnp0 psuedo-device, and upon bootup
>tried to set the IRQ and port for the modem (which shows up as CSN =
>1 and LSN = 0). I enabled the modem (pnp 1 0 enable), and set it to
>get its configuration from the OS (pnp 1 0 os). Then when I try to use
>interactive user ppp, using "term", I get no response back from it,
>and I can't even kill the process.
>
>[Since this is an old EISA machine, do I have to set the resources used
>by the modem in the EISA config, even if the modem is a plug-n-play
>modem? ]
>
>Questions:
>1. Am I missing something in setting up the modem?
>2. Am I using the pnp stuff correctly?
>3. How can I test that the modem is actually configured right?

Is there already an on-board serial port on sio0?  You might want to move
your modem to sio1 in that case.  _Something_ is being detected at the
irq/port you have assigned to the modem, but it might not be what you think.
On my creaky old 486, even with port serial ports disabled in the BIOS
setup, my PnP modem had to be on sio2 before it would work.

HTH,

	Scott