Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:04:36 -0700
From:      Aaron Siegel <bulk_mail@siegel-tech.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libmagic

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 19:23, you wrote:

> > I have copied magic.h from the source tree to  /usr/include. Is this a
> > common error?
>
> I haven't looked at this port, and I won't (I have other projects
> pushing me at the moment), but everything in FreeBSD, in /usr/include,
> is stuff that derives from the FreeBSD system only, and you should not
> touch it.  Same goes for everything you can find in the man page
> hier(7), and you should give that some study.  The default location for
> software in FreeBSD (not the noly location, but one you should use until
> you know enough to need alternatives) is everything under /usr/local/.

The file magic.h is the header file to libmagic a libary that is part of the
system, magic(3). The header is  located in /usr/src/contrib/file/magic.h.
The only reason for doing I did this crazy stunt is I followed a thread on
one of the list recommended that I copy the magic.h to /usr/include. I do not
know if this is correct or not?  Andy Fawcett  found an error in the
configure script which solved the problem, see thread for more details.

I understand I have a lot to learn.

Thank you for your help.
Aaron Siegel