Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 1996 20:57:17 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   syscons and mono VGA screens?

*mumble*  our gateway/server box took a dive on thursday, and I've only
just mostly got it back up (it fell over a little while after I got
home this afternoon, screen saver & network were going, but no disk,
no login.  Bad.)

Anyway, I took the opportunity to upgrade from a 10/95 -STABLE which has
served us well to -current, at least partly because I don't have any
kernel sources that old 8)

There's an annoying 'feature' now though; I have to leave the (mono VGA)
monitor unplugged until after syscons has finished probing.  Otherwise,
it gets as far as the autoconf line for syscons :

sc0 at 0x60-...

and no further.  The system still boots OK, and everything else works, but
the screen is frozen.  If the screen is not plugged in, it thinks it's a
colour screen, and when I plug it back in, all is well.  The quick answer
of course is to cut off the mono detect pin, but IMHO it should be fixed
in software 8)

(There's also an annoying delay when adding the default route, despite my
adding '-n' to the 'route add' line in netstart.  The machine has two
ethernets, and resolves via a local nameserver, so I can only guess that
-n is not having the desired effect.)