Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 17:30:01 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: samba PDC for WIN2K clients?

# stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com / 2002-10-26 16:00:57 +0100:
> I've been working my way through the smaba recommended "DIAGNOSTICS.TXT"
> procedures, and find that I am able to successfully complete all
> except:-
>
> Test 8 - On the PC type the command "net view \\BIGSERVER".
> Here the only way this works is if I use the IP Addr of the samba server
> instead of its name (FQDN or not).

    the name has nothing to do with DNS, so qualifying it won't do you
    any good. any router or switch between the two boxes? if so, they
    won't see each other *unless* you enable "transport netbios over
    tcp/ip" in the windows network control panel. beware of the security
    implications.

--
If you cc me or take the list(s) out completely I'll most likely
ignore your message.