Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 00:58:28 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Craig Beasland <craig@hotmix.com.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Name resolution

Craig Beasland wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a very curious one.
>
> A domain www2.eddept.wa.gov.au cannot be reached from FreeBSD.  I have tried
> to ping this machine from FreeBSD machines and get a cannot resolve error.
> Using windows or Linux I do not get this error.  All machines use the same
> DNS servers and the domain looks up OK using nslookup (to an alias).

	Neither the domain eddept.wa.gov.au nor wa.gov.au is currently
delegated. That means that nameservers on the global internet cannot see
it. If I had to guess, I'd say that you have DNS records for that zone
somewhere on your internal network, and for some reason your freebsd
configuration is slightly different from your other machines.

Good luck,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire